Steve is a Chartered Accountant and Fellow of the ICAEW, with over 25 years experience holding senior finance roles in businesses across a wide range of industry sectors, sizes and ownership models. Originally an engineering graduate from Southampton University, he qualified with KPMG in Newcastle and has remained in the area and continued to enjoy working and living in the North East.
In 2014, he founded his own consultancy business to provide financial expertise, advice and resource to SMEs to help maximise their growth potential. He has worked to develop financial infrastructure in high-growth SME technology businesses and enabled highly successful sale outcomes for shareholders. Steve has grown a portfolio of clients for whom he provides financial support as Finance Director/CFO or has undertaken individual project work.
With a breadth of experience across differing business sectors, Steve’s clients have included companies in the life sciences, pharmaceutical research, building control, manufacturing and sales agency industries. Steve also provides voluntary help and advice to the Soko Fund, a Scottish charity which aims to assist females in Malawi to improve life opportunities through funding their university education.
Key outcomes have included,
- Rapid scale-up of private pathology laboratory to undertake COVID-19 PCR testing, enabling a 10x increase in monthly turnover at its peak,
- Establishing a pharmaceutical research laboratory as a stand-alone, fully functioning business enterprise,
- Developing financial systems, reporting and forecasting disciplines in SMEs to facilitate successful shareholder exit strategies,
- Raising grant and external loan funding,
- Formulating strategic financial forecast models for long-term business planning or to facilitate significant asset investment funding.